Scientific Advisory Committee
According to FCT’s regulation for the multi-year funding program for R&D Units, each unit should have an external scientific advisory committee, made up of individuals of recognized merit which, by norm, should include foreign researchers. In addition, “this committee is charged with analyzing the unit’s performance. For this purpose, it will conduct annual visits to the unit and issue an expert opinion regarding the unit’s plan, management report and budget, which shall be submitted to the FCT.”
CLEGI’s scientific advisory committee is composed of the following researchers:
Robert Reuben, Professor at the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, UK.
- Director of Teaching and Learning, School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University;
- Member of Editorial Board of Proceeding IMechE, Part E, Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering;
- Over 250 publications;
- Member of the Editorial Board of several conferences;
- Chaired of Departmental Research Committee (until 1999) and was responsible for the oversight and strategic development of the Department’s research activities;
- Research work falls into the general area of experimental mechanics, significant proportion of current work falls into one of the two specific areas of micro-engineering and condition monitoring, and about half is applied to biomedical problems.
Hartmut Spliethoff, Professor at the Institute for Energy Systems, Technische Universität München, Germany.
- Chair and full-time professor at the Institute for Energy Systems, since 2004;
- Current activities include the coordination of two European research projects on deposit formation in coal combustion (RFCS Clean Selective) and oxyfuel combustion (RFCS Friendly Coal);
- Postdoctoral in the field of Combustion Technology and Power-Plant Engineering.
Gary McLean, Professor at Texas University, USA.
- Professor Emeritus since 2007;
- Senior Professor and Executive Director of International Human Resource Development Programs;
- Over 300 papers, books and book chapters published;
- He has served as President of the Academy of Human Resource Development and the International Management Development Association;
Javier Ballester, Full Professor in the fields of Fluid Mechanics since 2008 at Zaragoza University, Spain.
- PhD in Industrial Engineering;
- Coordinates the Laboratory of Industrial Combustion of LITEC.
- Participation in other research centres including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge MA, USA) and Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore CA, USA).
- Has participated in many R&D projects, both with public funding (European, national and regional administrations) and contracts with administrations and private companies.
Jorge Barata, Full Professor of Aerospace Sciences, UBI, Portugal.
- Research Interests: Propulsion, V/STOL, Jet aerodynamics, Internal Combustion Engines, Environment;
- Author or co-author of more than 120 publications (books and papers in journals and conference proceedings);
- Scientific Coordinator, AeroG-Aeronautics and Aerospace Research Unit, 2007-present
- President of the Pedagogical Council of the University of Beira Interior, 2007
- Director, Department for Information and Evaluation of the Education System, Portuguese Ministry of Education, 2004
- Director, Science and Higher Education Observatory, Portuguese Ministry of Science and Higher Education, 2003
- President of the Scientific and Directive Councils of the School of Engineering of the University of Beira Interior, 2001-2002